Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tutormill



Hello again (miss me?)
So let's take a trip back in time, shall we? Let's go back to January 2010. Winter. Snow. Instead of 30 degrees, think -30 degrees.
Anyways, a while back I received a phone call from my past illustration teacher Gary Taxali. He told me he was starting an online tutoring program called tutormill and that he needed some help with the site, and asked if I could be their "beta tester".
I wanted to share with you the process and final work I created.
My tutors were Edel Rodriguez (genius) and Marc Burckhardt (wise one).
I took the Fictional Book Jacket Design Course and this is what came of it.

1984
My initial sketches included one image only. From here my tutors suggested a more "graphic novel" approach...
So from there I created a panel-like cover including images directed from the novel.
My tutors suggested cleaning up the images, use more hatching/ texture, and avoid added type.

The end result! I was pretty happy with it but I can definitely see further improvements....


HAMLET
For these two sketches, my tutors agreed the image of the skull wearing a crown was strong, but agreed the type in the first one was best suited....
So I mixed the two together and came up with this sketch....
They then agreed that maybe I should tilt the skull and keep the typography tight....

The end result... what we all figured was the skull looked like he was smiling... which is cool don't get me wrong. But not what we were going for.

A couple of months of sitting on it and I decided to go back to this. I'm afraid it's still not up to snuff. Let's check back in a few months shall we? Next,

The Catcher in the Rye
My sketches included a lot of focus on Holden in the city, more of a portrait approach.
My tutors suggested to take the image of Holden away and focus on what was of important significance of the novel.


I had this sketch of using a cigarette, his lucky hunting hat, and his luggage with skinny type. My tutors suggested a more minimalist cover....
And this was the result. My tutors, and I, agreed the luggage was bit fussy, close to the typography, and the scale in general was a bit off.
And so a couple of months later and I refined the cover again.

I was really happy I got to experience tutormill and definitely recommend it to new illustrators starting out.
Ok goodnight!

xoxo Alex



1 comment:

Kelvin said...

Hi, im just curious on how is the program conducted and what day and time is it usually conducted. i'm interested to take a 6weeks course but kinda need these info to get myself started. would appreciate if you could help me out :D